The children of Casa Hogar attend school Monday through Friday and follow a schedule throughout the day, including spending time with a tutor every afternoon and taking English classes 3 times a week. Many of them stay with extended family members on the weekends and over school holidays. While we love having visitors, we also want to maintain an environment that is emotionally and physically safe for children who have lived through much trauma. With an ever-increasing number of short term visitors each year, we offer an introduction program which will take place every Tuesday beginning November 5th, 2019 and running through to mid March. Starting at 2:00 each week, we will be offering Tours of Love for visitors who want to see our home and observe what we do. Come and join us for a cup of coffee, hear our story and take a walk through our busy home.
Contact Manos de Amor to book your spot on our weekly tour.
For visitors and/or groups who will be staying in the Banderas Bay for longer periods of time, we offer ongoing volunteer opportunities such as:
- Helping with homework or English lessons
- Interacting with children by reading to them in Spanish or English
- Helping with the laundry. We have a lot of kids and lots of dirty laundry every day!
- Organizing the clothes cupboards
- Painting touch-ups, simple plumbing and electric fixes
- Yard work and general maintenance
- Planning a pizza party for the kids, grilling some hot dogs or hamburgers—they love special lunch or dinner parties
- Playing sports – a pickup basketball or soccer game or a road hockey game
- Assisting with arts and craft projects—all kids love those
- Giving some hugs, pats on the heads and smiles—all the kids benefit from those loving gestures.
To volunteer on a longer-term basis, please send a letter to firstname.lastname@example.org that tells a bit about you and your background. What areas would be of most interest to you and how often would you be available to work? We may ask you to provide references and/or criminal record checks if you will be working directly with children.
FAIR WARNING! Once you’re in the doors of Casa Hogar, they just might not let you leave – Have fun!